Saturday 21 April 2007

Explanation

The Place: Utopia

6) Explanation

In the course of this project I have ventured myself with the cause, meaning and the role of utopia concept for the humanity. Inspired by the concise meaning and cause of utopia through this title, I made my own visions. The photo mosaic is a visual outcome of how I perceived utopia through the journey of this project.

As a main creating way I have decided to play with the gestalt visual theory.

(Roy R. Behrens, Art, Design and Gestalt Theory, Leonardo, Vol. 31, No. 4. (1998), pp. 299-303, Stable URL:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0024-094X%281998%2931%3A4%3C299%3AADAGT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-9

reviewed on Sun Apr 8 06:16:54 2007)

Figure-ground relationships, shapes not closed or amidst yet clearly visible and tartan compositional grids were some ventured techniques. However, I have tried to grid images with reference to the golden rule of harmony as well. Further blending images together, was an essential part to support my view of blending utopia with reality, as much as it actually incurred spontaneously and thus appears more abstract.

art and utopia photo mosaic


From

utopia place ...

The software I used to manage this outcome is interesting open-source software named AndreaMosaic. Hovering over each tile becomes visible at the top left corner of the web page, whereas double clicking on a tile will open the image in a separate window or tab in the browser.

I perceive this outcome as a visual of visuals, a shape out of shapes. The pictures are many, some algorithmically repeated or flipped, so they are similar, yet not the same; similar to the manner we form opinions from a puzzle of influences. The small pictures could well represent the individual forming a grant whole, what we call society.

Unfortunately for purposes of blogging restrictions, I have been unable to add music and flash directly to link that externally. Presentation post is therefore included in the CD of the project only.